Day 3

22nd June 2022

Generator Hostel,
Copenhagen, Denmark


Bright and early, my friend and I decided to take the metro and see how fun it would be to sit in the front seat of an unmanned metro train. We took the city ring metro (Red line) from Kongens Nytorv.





We got our seats and I took a time-lapse video to share it here!





Today our group had to bike to Copenhill and meet with the people on the rooftop for a tour/ presentation/ talk. I was ecstatic to be there as I learned about this project when I was in my undergrad and was thrilled to be in a building designed by Bjarke Ingles (BIG Architects).



Copenhill is a waste-to-energy plant topped with a ski slope, hiking trail, and a climbing wall.


We had to climb the stairs to reach all the way to the top. The view is breathtakingly beautiful. And I was breathless by the third turn. I was definitely not in my best shape to keep up with the rest of the group. I took my sweet time getting there, enjoying the cool breeze and amazing view.






After getting to the top, we realized that our tour reservation was lost in a mix-up. And there was no one available to even meet with us! It was disappointing after that painstakingly long climb, but these are the things that make a trip. I didn't mind because I was busy admiring the facade, design decisions, water management, and energy systems. And also the breathtaking view.

You can read more about Copenhill here 


Since we couldn't do the tour, I took my time coming down. My friend met me near the parking and we walked all the way back to my hostel (that's almost 5 km!!!)


We enjoyed our walk through the park and sat by the water to cool down a little in the harsh heat.



There were ducks that came near us searching for food bits.

And a whole lot of other birds as well!


Most apartment buildings in Copenhagen had balconies - it almost seemed like a standard to have access to outdoor space. 





We then took a bus to eat yummy ramen. Highly recommend it if you're ever there! Ramen to 
Bíiru (Griffenfeldsgade 28, 2200 København, Denmark)


This was the creamy vegan ramen with mushrooms on the side!



I also tried their non-alcoholic hop drink - unexpectedly good!

We walked a lot that day and took multiple buses. It was a fun day to go bus hopping!





Comments